POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sci-fi experiment (75kbu) : Re: Oops, correct image here Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oops, correct image here
From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 May 2007 17:20:31
Message: <463ba39f@news.povray.org>
What if you made the figure a lost child?

I have pondered this scene at some length trying to figure out what it
is for me and possibly what it is for you.  For some reason it brings to
mind two of your former scenes from memory, one that involved skeletal
remains of warriors outside of a dragon's den, and one that involved a
fish jumping out of a picture.

I know that you do some sci-fi writing too that has the same feel.  It
is like there is some aspect of scifi/fantasy action scenes that you are
drawn to and want to recreate.

You have to follow that question I think.  Why are you drawn to this?
Why are you doing it?

This scene, and scenes like it, have a voyeuristic component to them.
In that regard, the sense of the female figures floating and gentling
undulating in the liquid is the most potent and expressive part of the
scene.  That they are clothed adds to the psychological titillation and
recreates the suffused eroticism in many juvenile scifi flicks.  They
are exaggerated in scale, they are on display, in poses free of gravity
and that they may not be in control of, and finally, unaware that they
are observed.

I think your action/combat reflex is confusing here.  That the scene is
suddenly presented to the viewer just as it is revealed to the
explorations of the little combat figure IS a typical scifi devise.
But I wonder if you could push it further.  There is something
unsatisfying to me that it all ends with this unresponsive little turd
with a gun.

There is a faint spike with the idea of the vulnerability of the figures
heightened by the presence of the trained weapon.  There is also
something going on with the visor-hidden eyes, given the implicit
voyeurism involved, but at this point I find it a less than satisfying
conclusion to a potentially emotive scene.